Tango:  Maureen – RENT

I am so exhausted that it’s not even funny. Like, it is really sad.

Friday:

I had to work really hard to get everything done for my online class because we had a pep rally during 4th block. That is when I finish up all of the work that I need to for my class. But no. I had to play with the band instead. Really fun! Biggest waste of time ever.

Then there was the football game battle of the marching bands against our rivals. Like, seriously. The score ended up being sixty-something us and zero them. It was really sad. Our band was cheering for their school. But their band is a state recognized program, much like ours, so we had fun battling. We also did a combined halftime show. But it was miserable. We got there at four to practice, and it was raining…and freezing. And then we sat out there and ate pizza in the cold rain until the game started at 7:30. We didn’t leave until about 10. It was so icky.

Saturday and Sunday:

This weekend has been really hard. Like I said in my last post, my close friends’ father is dying of cancer. A group of friends and I spent this weekend at the hospital with them taking shifts sitting with him and holding his hands. The cancer has taken his digestive tract and they’ve taken him off of liquid nutrition. He has been unresponsive because they have him on pain meds so that he will remain comfortable. We know that he can hear us though, so we all sit in there and talk with him.

We’ve had waves of emotion all weekend. Some moments, we are all laughing and joking around and remembering funny stories. Other times, we are all crying and holding one another. It has been an extreme emotional journey, and it is taking its toll on all of us.

I have gained so much respect for a couple of my friends though. One of them graduated last year and goes to college in a city about half and hour away, but he drove down and spent all weekend at the hospital with the family. He’s driving back to school tonight, but he is going to come back and spend the night tomorrow night as well. As hard as my body is taking it, I know that he cannot feel very well right now, but he is still holding in there because he loves the family. Same goes for another guy and girl who have been there too. People always talk about how apathetic teenagers are these days, but they don’t know this group. There has been a constant flow of teenagers showing up to support the family all weekend. Besides the six of us who spent almost all weekend there, there were many others who showed up with food and spent time sitting around his bed and talking with us. There was so much love there, and it makes me so much more optimistic about human beings.

This has just been a long weekend. It doesn’t help that  I’ve been having dizzy spells all weekend. Mom just medicated me to make sure that I’m not getting an ear infection or the flu. I don’t have time. We are hosting an academic bowl meet two weeks from tomorrow, and as the captain of the team, I have so much shit to do that it’s not even funny.

I’m just…tired.

Signature_thumb[3]