Ooh La La - Faces

So, two crying sessions, two hamburgers, a large sweet tea, and multiple irritated texts from Caroline later, my chemistry homework is done...basically. [not really.] I have a test that I'm making up tomorrow, and I'm totally fucked, but you know what? I'm still running a fever, and I don't care anymore.

But anyways! Top Two Monday Tuesday time!

This week's is the Top 2 things you've learned from your parents or grandparents.

  1. How to identify plants, take care of a garden, and work in the yard in general. My grandmother has never made excuses because we are female. In fact, she has much higher expectations for us than she does for the boys. Because of her, I can mow the lawn, use a hatchet, plant trees, and carry stones with the best of them. I've been eaten up by briars and sunburned all over my body, but you know what? I'm tough enough to handle it. 
  2. How to stand up for myself. My mother did not have the best start. She was married at 17 and divorced by 18. This was followed by two more failed marriages. [Only slightly beat by my father who is on his fourth!] This is not the worst case scenario for her though; that would have been staying in them. Two of them tried to walk all over her and control her whether it be financially, socially, or emotionally, but she pulled herself up and walked out, the second time with two kids and two cats in the car. It's easy to stay somewhere and play the victim, but it takes true strength to stand up for yourself.
The women in my family are truly strong individuals, and I could do worse than to learn from them.

Link up to Top Two Tuesdays over at The Undomestic Momma!


May the force be with y'all.